Monday, September 22, 2014

Response: "With tech taking over schools, worries rise"

     Schools around the country are using more and more technology in the classroom, and many people are concerned about it. Last month, California legislation passed a law prohibiting educational apps and websites from selling and disclosing students' personal information. The data collected by these websites can include sensitive information and statistics about students' behavior, family traumas, and disabilities. If this information, so easily procured, got out and in the wrong hands it could be detrimental to a student's future career and education.
     This information was very eye-opening, especially to the lack of security on educational apps and websites. I would have hoped that all states would have already gone through a process to protect their students' information before they implemented education apps and websites in their classrooms. As a teacher I will take it upon myself to thoroughly check all online aspects of my classroom to ensure my students' protection. Now I know that I cannot always rely on the website or even my school board to make the best decisions regarding student safety. I will also be very wary of using these sites to store students personal information. I have to think about their futures.

No comments:

Post a Comment