Monday, November 10, 2014

Blog Response: Why so many kids can't sit still in school today

Changes in diagnostic criteria and increased awareness of Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), has led to an increased diagnosis of the condition among young students. However, some people say that another reason for the growth of the condition is the amount of time students have to spend seated in school. When students cannot sit still in school it effects more than thier learning. It effects their self-esteem and health. Children require hours of movement a day to function well, and in today's classrooms they are simply not allowed enough time for play.

This lack of play and movement in classrooms is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. In my classroom I will do my part to help remedy this issue by informing and incorporating. Firstly, I think it is important to inform parents and care givers about the great need for thier children to be involved in hours of physcial activity per day, rather than the commonly suggested 30 minutes. I will also implement physical activity the best I can into my classroom. Things as simple as taking a break to do some jumping jacks or dance can be very beneficial for a student's learning. I will also try to have many hands on activities in my classroom, push for longer recess times and incorporate movement into learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment